Jabuticaba fruit, the sweet fruit of Brazilian native Jabuticaba tree, grows on the trunk of the tree and is purple in color. These fruits resemble grapes and have a flavor that is sweet with an acid tang. Jabuticaba are largely eaten fresh, but because they begin to ferment 3 to 4 days after harvesting, they are often used to make jams, tarts, strong wines, and liqueurs.
The fruit contains a fair amount of protein and is low in carbohydrates and calories. It is also very high in Vitamin C, high in calcium, iron, phosphorus and contains some B vitamins. In addition, jabuticaba fruit contains several antioxidant compounds including one that is unique to the fruit (jaboticabin). It is extremely rich in anthocyanins, the most abundant type of flavonoid.
Health benefits of this fruit include:
- It opens up bronchial airways providing asthma relieve.
- It works as an anti-inflammatory agent.
- It prevents premature aging.
- It may be effective in fighting cancers.
- It soothes the GI tract and relieves diarrhea.
- It helps to naturally detox the body.
- It strengthens the immune system and helps fight off infections.