The reddish/dark purple mangosteen is an ultra-tropical plant which needs humidity, rainfall and cannot be grown at very high altitude regions. It is mostly grown in Asian and some African countries and due to its good taste is referred to as “the queen” of tropical fruit.
Mangosteen is low in calories, rich in fiber and has a high water content. In addition, it is a good source of vitamin C, potassium, copper, manganese and magnesium. B-complex vitamins such as thiamin, niacin and folate are also found in moderate amounts in the fruit. Mangosteen is known to contain powerful antioxidants, some which contain cell boosters known as xanthones. These cell boosters contain various properties that have been shown to medicinal value.
Benefits of mangosteen that can enhance performance include:
- Anti-allergy and anti-inflammatory properties that have been shown to inhibit the release of histamine and prostaglandin.
- Regulation of the menstrual cycle.
- Management of blood sugar levels.
- Relieve from GI issues such as diarrhea and dysentery.
- Strengthened immune system.
Some additional benefits include quicker wound healing, astringent properties, cardio protection, healthy skin and cancer prevention.