The deep purple maqui berry, sometimes referred to as the Chilean wine berry, grows on small evergreen trees found in the temperate rainforest of in Chile and Argentina. It has been used for hundreds of years by the Mapuche Indians for its medicinal and anti-aging benefits.
The maqui berry is rich in antioxidants and omega fatty acids and good source of vitamins A and C along with calcium, iron and potassium. When compared to other superfruits, maqui berries contain the highest antioxidant value. The berry is abundant with anthocyanins, a plant substance recognized for its effective anti-oxidant value. The anthocyanins found in the maqui berry contain higher quantities of delphinidins and delphiniums, which have a superior anti-oxidant action and have shown the capability to halt inflammations.
Health benefits of the maqui berry may include:
- Boosts to the immune system
- Enhanced energy levels
- Anti-aging properties
- Cardiovascular strength
- Possible cancer prevention
- Reduced micro-vascular problems
- Maintenance of healthy blood sugar levels
- Act as an appetite suppressant
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduces LDL levels
- Detoxification of the digestive system
- Increased strength and stamina
- Reduced occurrences of sore throat, diarrhea, ulcers and fevers